Monday, August 25, 2008

Bye Bye Passy

Kate has been a faithful passy lover since the beginning. She LOVED it as an infant and then we started trying to only use it at nap/bedtimes when she turned one. This lasted for a few months, but in the past 4 months or so she has wanted it CONSTANTLY. I, being the loving mommy that I am, usually give in and allow her to have it. Finally after a lot of dicussion between me and her daddy, we have decided it's time to stop the passy use outside of bedtime. Let's just say it's been a traumatic 4 days of no passy. My sister always says that girls are drama and boys are distruction and she is exactly right on this one. Kate is VERY dramatic in whining for the "pass" as she calls it. She just sits and says it over and over in this really whiny voice. It goes like this:

Kate: "Paaaaaasssssss"
Mommy: "No, passy...all done passy...we can only have it at night night time."
Kate: (louder) "Paaaaaaassssssss Peeezzzzzz"
Mommy: "You're very sweet to say please, but no no passy right now"
Kate: the high pitch fake cry begins and I try hard to redirect her to a toy, her baby, food...anything.

She usually stops after about a minute and is perfectly happy and content until about an hour later and we repeat the cycle. I just want her to learn at this age that when mommy and daddy say "no" we mean it. It's very hard on me to not give in, but the last thing I want is a teenager who doesn't know what "no" means.

I love the passy and I will probably see if our next baby will take it, but it's the breaking of the passy that is not my friend. Maybe next time we will try a little earlier to break the baby of the pass.



Photobucketj

6 comments:

Holly Green said...

That is so hard! I remember one day I was at the grocery store and this little girl was in front of us with her pacifier and she looked way to old to have that thing in her mouth. I asked her Mom how old she was and she was younger than Sophia who still had hers as well. A couple of days later we soaked all the binkys in vinegar and she never wanted one again. A little harsh, but it worked like a champ!

KerrisKorner said...

AHHHH....I just laughed OUT LOUD! Holly, you crack me up every time!

Unknown said...

You are gonna have a fat kid with no passy.
Ha ha- KIDDING! I totally use treats to redirect Judah, too!

Anonymous said...

We're going through the same thing with Kylie right now. We're were doing really well, but now her molars are coming out and she's been really fussy. And passy is the only thing that helps her feel better. I've been trying bedtime with no passy and she has surprisingly not needed it. It's during the day that's the problem. She's gets mad when we don't give it to her, but then she forgets about it for a little bit. I totally understand what you mean about "no" means no. It's really hard not to give in.

TJPPPSmith said...

Oh I love the passy, too...Parker did as well. It was not too hard to break since he was not talking just yet when I did it...just a few days of being fussy down for nap time. A few days later he did not even want it at night time. Pagie and Peyton...they wanted NOTHING to do with them. Oh well, the thumb was easy to break for Paige. I am guessing...with our track record of him being hard headed...it will not be for Peyton!

Amy said...

Just be thankful it is not her thumb, because there are laws about breaking those. Leah is still sucking her finger (she went from 4 to 1). Start cutting the end of the passy with scissors a little more each day and the suction will be gone and she won't want it anymore. Good Luck!