Monday, June 30, 2008

Spreading the News...

So here's the story on how I told Josh we were expecting baby #2. To begin you have to have the background of our first baby experience. We were not trying and were totally caught off guard when I took a test and got a positive result. I cried, he cried, and we were both in utter shock. I promised myself that on baby #2 I would do a better job at telling him in a "fun" way! This time around, it was fun and just as surprising...


I found out on a Tuesday and had NOBODY to tell, except Kate. I couldn't tell my sister before Josh and I wanted him to be the first to know out of our families. I finally cracked and told my friend Courtney and she helped me pick out a "big sister" tshirt for Kate to wear when we were going to surprise her daddy with the news. I worked out a plan with his boss at D Magazine to call a fake meeting with him on that Thursday and discuss the "vacation policy." This meant that I had to keep the news for 2 days and nights without letting it slip. It was so hard and I felt like I couldn't really even have a conversation with him so we just watched lots of TV and went to bed early each night. Finally the big day came and it couldn't have gone better! He met with his boss and was told that due to a new "policy" he would have to work all the major holidays...Memorial day, Labor day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. But because of his hard work those days he would have a week off in February since that is an "off peak" time (even though the web is never off peak), but he bought it! Then his boss said that they needed to step into his office so he could check on which week Josh would get off, and that is where Kate and I sat waiting. He was so confused when he walked in and we were in there. I took the story from there and it went like this:

















Me: So you get a week off in February?
Josh: That's what I hear...
Me: Well maybe it's because Kate will need your help in February when she becomes a big sister (and I held her up for dramatic effect).
Josh: ..............(no words, but turned a deep red color and laughted)
Me: SURPRISE!

So there it is! Afterwards we went and ate at Chuys (one of my FAVS) and talked about all the thoughts I had been keeping if for the past 2 days. We went down that weekend to tell our parents. We went out to dinner with all 4 of them together. Midway through dinner, Josh took Kate to "change her diaper" and brought her back with the "I'm a big sister shirt." It took the grandmas about 5 minutes to notice, but they were so excited and it was really fun to get to share our big news with them. My mom is already picking out names and Josh's mom has started on the "Meme Blanket" that she makes for the grandbabies. Kate is attached to her's so we knew we'd need a new one for the next baby.

I am beginning to feel a little better and I think the antibiotics are helping me a lot. Still going to bed by 9pm every night, but I will take advantage of all the extra sleep I can get before February!





Photobucket

8 comments:

Holly Green said...

That is so cute! I hope you have another girl. Girls are so cute together and every girl should have a sister! Congrats!

jana said...

I love it! You set the bar high for spreading the news :-) congrats again and I can't wait to hear if its a boy or girl! do you have any names in the works?

Allison said...

What a great story. WOW, I was not very creative, you win the creative prize for sure.

The Morgans said...

What a fun story!! Glad you are feeling better.

Amy said...

Very cute and creative. Love your hair!!!

allred-4 said...

Congratulations Kerri! I am so excited for you guys! Life is so different when you add a second little one to the mix, but so much fun! Please keep us updated!.

Anonymous said...

cute story, Josh looks super happy, how fun!

trishwoods said...

Oh Kerri! How exciting!!! Congratulations! What a fun way to share the news. :)