Monday, January 21, 2008

Wanting to be Her...

So I am reading 2 books at the same time right now...boy can that be confusing! One is "Wanting to be Her" by Michelle Graham and the other is "Transparent" by Sarah Davis. Both have to do with being real with who you are and who God made you. I love how one of them describes that if Barbie were a real person she would have been between 6-7 feet tall, she would be minus 2 ribs, minus major organs (including her uterus), and the author thinks the gap between her thighs is a sign of a major bone deformity in her hips (and I agree). All in all she goes from being the "perfect rolemodel for girls" (according to her website) to being a freak! We all want to be her at some point in our childhood, and I think that we all fall into the Barbie mentality a lot, even as adults. Its easy to want to be "her" and that means something different for all of us. "Her" can be just an ideal person that we've made up in our minds or someone that we know, like a friend or a family member. The book by Sarah Davis is so refreshing about being honest with who you are and who you want to be, without the pressure to try to be "her". I've always stayed away from those girls who want to give other people "the wants" because I think its great when people are secure in who they are. This book speaks to that mentality...it's very refreshing.

Ok...one final point! In reading all of this I am feeling even more protective of my girly little Kate. I want her to want to be Kate, not "her." I want her to see herself as beautiful as I see her and to feel secure in who the Lord has made her, not others, to be. I don't want her to be like her friends, or even me...I want her to be her. I am going to start praying now for all of this in her life since I can testify that it is a lifelong struggle to find security and not want to be "her." Being a woman is an incredible gift...I wouldn't trade if I could, but it sure does bring it's big bag of insecurities and struggles. I only hope that I can help foster a since of security in her and teach her how to love herself...I know that example starts in me, so maybe I need to pray for me too!

0 comments: