Friday, March 28, 2008

Is this just a phase?

So my sweet little angel has started throwing these fits when she doesn't get her way. For example, yesterday when we were leaving the park she walked over to another car (that looks nothing like our car) and wanted to get in it. When I told her we couldn't do that and picked her up to go to our car she busted out crying and screaming like I had just ruined her for life! Is she trying to tell me that she doesn't like my car? Was she just tired? Is this normal for an 18 month old? I'm not sure what it all means!

While we were playing at the park she wanted to put a piece of mulch in her mouth and I wouldn't let her do that either. She threw one of those fits, and I looked at another mom (who was sort of starring at us) and told her in a friendly way, "We're in that phase where were cry if we don't get our way," and she said, "I hate to tell you, but it's not phase...that's a girl for ya!" Is this true? I know teenage girls do that sort of thing, but I guess I didn't think she would start that until she was 12!

I do the regular "mom thing" and justify it with ideas like, "she's teething" or "she's tired" or "she's hungry," but is it possible that she's just 18 months old (almost) and they just do this! I know parenting is all about learning as you go and I am a student with this child right now.

Any parenting advice from those of you who have gone thru this? I'm a little nervious that people will say..."nope! Kate's just got an attitude!" but I'm willing to throw it out there and see if this is normal.

5 comments:

{CuTe CaRd QuEeN} said...

Maybe its just a "kid" thing b/c Judah does it too. Maybe next time he does, I should feed him some mulch.

Amy said...

Good Luck! You can pray it is a phase, but a little attitude goes a long way in this world. The fits do get better as they get older, but we all really want our way and I sometimes wish I could act like Kate.

KerrisKorner said...

That's true...I guess I throw fits sometimes too.

TJPPPSmith said...

Stick with the discipline...she will learn to throw fewer fists or at least that you will not put up with it...at least that worked with Parker. Paige is going through this phase as well...and I hope it works again!

Anonymous said...

Kate is definatly not alone. All kids go through this, or at least all of mine have so far. The fits do get better. It's much easier when your at home, you can let them throw the fit in their room and when they are done they can come out, not much fun and the fits don't last long this way. It gets really tricky when your out in public and the fits come along. Stay consistant! We still have issues with the girls. But like Amy said, we all want our way sometimes! We just have to teach an appropriate way to handle it. It's tough and the attitude has lingered on, I fear until she's 18!