Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Longest Night EVER!

Kate and I went down to Georgetown this past weekend to visit my mom along with my sister and Cohen. It was a good trip until we were just north of Georgetown and Kate started vomiting all over herself and the backseat. We had to pull off the highway and because that area of road is scarce on gas stations we just pulled onto the shoulder of the access road to begin the clean up. My sister was able to get most of it out of her car seat using a package of baby wipes and I had a towel in the back to clean her off. I stripped her down to only her diaper on the side of the highway. I am officially that lady with the naked child on the side of the road...it was so crazy. Kate just laughed and obviously felt much better after she got all of that out. I'm still not sure why she threw up, but she's been congested and I gave her some milk so it might have been a bad combo in her little tummy. Needless to say we made it my mom's, began the baths, did a load of laundry and fabreezed the back seat of the Tahoe. Then I finally put her down at about 10:30...about 3 hours past her usual bed time. I felt like my head had just hit the pillow when Kate began crying. We share a room at my mom's so it's never good when they an see you across the room. I tried until 4:30 to get her back down with NO luck. She just cried because she wanted to play and not sleep. I finally decided to just load her up in the car and go somewhere. We ended up at the Georgetown Starbucks where we went in at 5am and had a muffin and some hot tea. We were both in our PJ's and house shoes. We got back to the house around 6am and my little angel FINALLY went back to sleep, but left her mommy feeling very exhausted. It was honestly the LONGEST night ever and I hope we never have another one like that. I think she is just at a challenging age right now (16 months) and I just try to stay creative and positive when she is being difficult. Hopefully she will out grow this stage sooner than later or I might drive her back down to grandmas house and leave her!

4 comments:

The Morgans said...

What a night!! You poor thing. I have had some of the same problems when I take the kids to grandma's house and try to sleep in the same room...not as easy as it seems. Sweet little Kate; just love her...this stage will pass quickly.

Unknown said...

I think you should just go ahead and place her for adoption.
KIDDING!

KerrisKorner said...

She's my sweet baby and I love her to pieces, but traveling is SO hard on both of us!

Anonymous said...

Traveling is very hard with kids. We usually end up splitting up and letting the girls sleep with us at hotels. They are now old enough that they understand and we have talked them into sleeping together. What patience you have to have made it all night with her being up! Hope the next trip goes better.